Data comsumption

Lord Saru

Junior
3 May 2020

Why do we consume so much data while on laptops?

For 10 MB, I could do a few posts on FA and also some browsing around if I am on my phone. If I am on my laptop, that's atleast a 100MB affair.
I use around 60GB a month if I am on my phone and if its Wifi, the same pattern of website visits would be around 600GB.

Why the discrepancy?

digital

Community Team Leader
Staff member
Team Leader
27 April 2020
Scotland

Could it be something to do with the fact that most sites nowadays are streamlined and optimised and have a mobile version available and therefore it would use less data?

HungryEgo

21 May 2020
Canada

Could it be something to do with the fact that most sites nowadays are streamlined and optimised and have a mobile version available and therefore it would use less data?
What digital said.

when you are using a mobile friendly version of a website there is less content and background “noise” that is loaded from each webpage. Less ads, less viewable space, less graphics to download and view. All of this ads up.

cookies and cache may help some of that overtime so the ratio won’t always stay consistent, but the less you have to load each page view the easier it is on the backend server AND your data/bandwidth usage.

Note: I am no technical expert, however this is my knowledge and understanding of how things work on the interwebz. I may be correct when someone of higher knowledge steps in through the door 👀

Naiwen

One and Only
25 July 2015

Around 100 MB monthly these days for me personally.

About Us

Forum Authority is a general discussion forum. We currently have a variety of categories to choose from, where you can participate in discussions. We also have many features such as a powerful credits & awards system, custom upgrades, plugins + more! Here you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, find unique resources & tutorials, win contests & prizes, receive freebies and be given advice or help.