Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

digital

Community Team Leader
Staff member
Team Leader
27 April 2020
Scotland

There are so many options out there nowadays for forum software between free and paid, it can make it difficult to pick software.

What is your preferred software option - I've created a poll with options be sure to vote in it! You can vote for 2 options as there will be free and paid options.

MaxBill

The Myth
29 June 2015
Behind you

I really love Mybb. Just in case if I start a new forum I will use MyBB and if the forum grows I will switch to xenoforum.

digital

Community Team Leader
Staff member
Team Leader
27 April 2020
Scotland

I think that is the best solution, start off with a good free software and if your forum is growing nicely and you really want to push it to the next level then look at upgrading to paid.

Tagobs

Community Team
Staff member
Mod
26 March 2020
Norway

Of the more established forum softwares, I prefer XenForo. But one I think is much more interesting is a new one called Flarum. It's still in beta, but it seems to eliminate all of the clutter many of the other forum softwares are filled up with, and make it more like social media.

digital

Community Team Leader
Staff member
Team Leader
27 April 2020
Scotland

It will be interesting to see how Flarum develops and if it becomes one of the main players or if it remains quite unique!

tdbnz

Junior
13 May 2020

I have Mybb and I find it fantastic however latley I been seeing forums using Xenforo and they look amazing

once my website builds up and I make some $$$ I will eventually move to paid Forum Software

GunsnRoses

On Fire
8 April 2020

Tbh I really do like the forum software now but I've also heard mybb and vbulletin are good too

digital

Community Team Leader
Staff member
Team Leader
27 April 2020
Scotland

I think each had their own unique features and you really need to look at which software offers the best solution for your needs.

Jason

Junior
14 May 2020
India

Forum softwares i like are MyBB, ElkArte, Woltlab. Currently my forum is powered by Woltlab and i am really happy with the software. But my webmaster life started with MyBB.

Sir Twisted

Twisted.
Staff member
Founder
Admin
Mod
10 June 2015
Scotland.

If you ask me roughly a year ago I probably would have said mybb. But as I've been using xenforo, I'm overwhelmed at its capability and diversity.

Jason

Junior
14 May 2020
India

I hear this comment from my users who switch from MyBB (other free forum software) to Xenforo. Glad you took a nice decision.

Jason

Junior
14 May 2020
India

vB user base has come down drastically, forum which started using it way back are sticking with it. And very few exists, many have switched to IPB and Xenforo.

Daddy

29 September 2016

What happened to vB? Seems like nobody is using that platform anymore. What did I miss?
What was once a powerful forum is now hardly used. Many vbulletin customers switched to XenForo when the original vbulletin team quit to create XenForo when vBulletin was sold several years back.

It doesn't help the fact they ended vBulletin 4.X series and created vBulletin 5.X from the ground up again, several of it's original features are no longer possible, such as custom avatar size.

I have a vBulletin owned license from back when vBulletin 3 was still supported shortly after the vBulletin 4.X release. I wanted to create a new forum several week's back with a bunch of old forum themes I have that are compatable with both vb3 and vb4 and noticed they no longer allow you to download the 3.x or 4.x series as they are discontinued, despite being told prior to purchasing my license that i'll still have access to download legacy versions.

HungryEgo

21 May 2020
Canada

What was once a powerful forum is now hardly used. Many vbulletin customers switched to XenForo when the original vbulletin team quit to create XenForo when vBulletin was sold several years back.

It doesn't help the fact they ended vBulletin 4.X series and created vBulletin 5.X from the ground up again, several of it's original features are no longer possible, such as custom avatar size.

I have a vBulletin owned license from back when vBulletin 3 was still supported shortly after the vBulletin 4.X release. I wanted to create a new forum several week's back with a bunch of old forum themes I have that are compatable with both vb3 and vb4 and noticed they no longer allow you to download the 3.x or 4.x series as they are discontinued, despite being told prior to purchasing my license that i'll still have access to download legacy versions.
I have a 4.X license as well, was supposed to be good for life. Well poop.

About Us

Forum Authority is a general discussion forum. We currently have a variety of categories to choose from, where you can participate in discussions. We also have many features such as a powerful credits & awards system, custom upgrades, plugins + more! Here you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, find unique resources & tutorials, win contests & prizes, receive freebies and be given advice or help.