How many screens...

HungryEgo

21 May 2020
Canada

Do you use?

I have become quite accustomed to using two screens from work and am having a hard time getting it to work on my old personal laptop. Work bought me a handy dock so getting 3 screens (2 monitors + laptop screen) was easy as pie. Personal laptop is another story. I tried to do it the cheap and chearful way and not have to buy a dock for my laptop, but I ended up biting the bullet this evening and ordered a dock for my personal laptop.

Goodbye $135, you will be missed.

Tagobs

Community Team
Staff member
Mod
26 March 2020
Norway

I'm usually a one-screen man, relying solely on my laptop's inbuilt screen. Whenever I have exams or essays that has to be written, I usually connect my iPad to my computer so that I can use the computer for writing and the iPad to display notes etc. I move around too much to be able to rely on two or more actual screens, but I'd love to have a nice office setup like that someday.

Juneberry

On Fire
18 April 2020
New Jersey

I'm generally a one-screen kind of person. I'm a creative person, but not creative enough to think of what I could use a second screen for. The only time I use a second screen is when I'm simulcasting onto my TV to show my dad stuff, which isn't the same anyway.

HungryEgo

21 May 2020
Canada

I had 3 gaming screens before, but right now I have only one screen.
I love that...but...what would you put on each of the 3 screens? Would you replace those 3 screens with an ultrawide curved screen instead? I just like being able to have facebook/spotify open on one screen, and being actually doing stuff on the other screen. Less moving back and forth lol, way more productive :LOL:.

JennyorAlice

On Fire
9 August 2015

I am currently in a one screen situation. I normally use just my laptop when I am online. The desktop use to have 2 monitors at one point in time and it was nice to not have to switch back and forth between two different screens. It did feel more productive at times.

catgirl

Junior
29 May 2020
United States

I used to have a dual monitor setup however I switched to a large TV as my new display. I'm using a 42 inch TCL 1080P TV as my computer's monitor and it's pretty awesome. I still have my laptop for cases where a different monitor is absolutely necessary but with the larger display I can just put Windows side by side and it's easy to read them as if they were on separate monitors.

MaxBill

The Myth
29 June 2015
Behind you

I love that...but...what would you put on each of the 3 screens? Would you replace those 3 screens with an ultrawide curved screen instead? I just like being able to have facebook/spotify open on one screen, and being actually doing stuff on the other screen. Less moving back and forth lol, way more productive :LOL:.
I will buy a separate screen for each purpose.

Sir Twisted

Twisted.
Staff member
Founder
Admin
Mod
10 June 2015
Scotland.

I'm always thinking about the idea of gaming with two screens, I feel like it would be a great idea! However at the same time I'm so used to just the one screen for everything.

HungryEgo

21 May 2020
Canada

I'm always thinking about the idea of gaming with two screens, I feel like it would be a great idea! However at the same time I'm so used to just the one screen for everything.
As someone who recently (within a year) fell in love with two screens, you'll love it. 100%. Doesn't need to be a fancy expensive screen either.

HungryEgo

21 May 2020
Canada

what would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of owning two displays and using them?
Sir Twisted I made you a pretty chart :)

Pros to multiple screensCons to multiple screens
  • No need for switching windows (Use ALT+Tab to switch without moving away from the keyboard, while still seeing multiple apps/programs.​
  • Game on one screen, Discord/communications on other screen. (Or Forum, Facebook, Youtube, Spotify, etc)​
  • Increased productivity and thought output​
  • With a well thought out workstation, your cables, comfortability, and overall enjoyment of using your computer will be greatly enhanced.​
  • 1-2hrs invested into "setting up" your workstation for the long haul will pay off down the road.​
  • $$$ to aquire second screen
  • Extra cables may be required
  • Extra plug required (you most likely already have a power strip available though)
  • more deskspace required (unless you mount, then that's a whole other ballgame)

About Us

Forum Authority is a general discussion forum. We currently have a variety of categories to choose from, where you can participate in discussions. We also have many features such as a powerful credits & awards system, custom upgrades, plugins + more! Here you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, find unique resources & tutorials, win contests & prizes, receive freebies and be given advice or help.