Sir Twisted

Twisted.
Staff member
Founder
Admin
Mod
10 June 2015
Scotland.

I was talking with a friend regarding this and he was saying that DVDs and CDS are more or less being replaced by mainstream services such as Netflix, NOW TV, HULU, amazon prime, Spotify and so on. Do you think as people mostly use these services to watch content online, physical entertainment, such as DVDs and CDs will become obsolete?

katos

Administrator
Admin
29 June 2015

Sir?Twisted said:
I was talking with a friend regarding this and he was saying that DVDs and CDS are more or less being replaced by mainstream services such as Netflix, NOW TV, HULU, amazon prime, Spotify and so on. Do you think as people mostly use these services to watch content online, physical entertainment, such as DVDs and CDs will become obsolete?
I think that discs and DVDs are slowly becoming obsolete for entertainment, though I work in law and we're dealing with external media consistently for evidence purposes, so I dont think that as a medium it'll go anywhere soon...

Sir Twisted

Twisted.
Staff member
Founder
Admin
Mod
10 June 2015
Scotland.

@katos, I agree with you and I suppose in today's technology as we are advancing quite rapidly with Next Generation consoles and streaming services such as Amazon fire stick, there's no need.

katos

Administrator
Admin
29 June 2015

Sir?Twisted said:
@katos, I agree with you and I suppose in today's technology as we are advancing quite rapidly with Next Generation consoles and streaming services such as Amazon fire stick, there's no need.
Absolutely! And with cloud storage, I can see physical media becoming more and more obsolete.

MaxBill

The Myth
29 June 2015
Behind you

DVDs and CD's are wiping out. The cost of buying DVDs and the equipment's to play them are much higher. Netflix and other high clarity online steaming medias are much better with more options. They are portable and feasible.

I Watch more than 50 Movies per month. Think of me buying these in DVDs. Where do i keep them? Think about the cost.

katos

Administrator
Admin
29 June 2015

MaxBill said:
DVDs and CD's are wiping out. The cost of buying DVDs and the equipment's to play them are much higher. Netflix and other high clarity online steaming medias are much better with more options. They are portable and feasible.

I Watch more than 50 Movies per month. Think of me buying these in DVDs. Where do i keep them? Think about the cost.
An excellent point!

TopSilver

Junior +
18 April 2020

Music CDs seem to be going out of style only because users are pirating and getting the music by illegal means. In my opinion DVD's will be a thing for quite some time and I don't think CDs will completely cease their popularity only because a lot of people have burnt CDs. In my opinion this will probably be a thing for a while. The thing about Netflix and services like that replacing DVDs is the fact that they don't have that much of a selection of movies compared to what's out there but I see your point regardless. In my opinion this will continue to be something we use but may go out of style before too long.

Tagobs

Community Team
Staff member
Mod
26 March 2020
Norway

I like owning a physical copy of things I like, especially when it comes to music. Also, artists get more money from you if you buy a physical record from their instead of just streaming through the album a couple of times. So, if you'd like to support (especially local) artists, I think one should buy a CD or a vinyl record.

I collect vinyl records myself, and got around 50 of them. It's nice to be able to have them physically in a room, because that heightens the chances for me actually listening to whichever album was my favorite four years ago.

Demon_skeith

Junior
10 May 2020

Besides me wanting to hold what I bought, I still buy blu-rays mostly because my Internet is not very reliable, often have I gone to watch something and my internet was acting up. Sure paying for streaming is a lot more cost effective, but doesn't do any good if you have no internet or the show keeps buffering.

About Us

Forum Authority is a general discussion forum. We currently have a variety of categories to choose from, where you can participate in discussions. We also have many features such as a powerful credits & awards system, custom upgrades, plugins + more! Here you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, find unique resources & tutorials, win contests & prizes, receive freebies and be given advice or help.