What do you do to keep the community happy?

GunsnRoses

On Fire
8 April 2020

Unfortunately for webmasters, there comes times where we have to face when someone doesn't like another member or someone is breaking the rules etc, what's everyone's force of action when it comes to being fair and keeping everything sensible

Do you have rules in place, a warning system, no second chances?

TopSilver

Junior +
18 April 2020

I run on a 12 point system on my site. 4 points is a 1 month ban, 8 points is a 3 month ban, and 12 points is permanent. It takes a lot though because I set the points to expire after 1 year. To be honest I welcome all members to my site but if someone isn't following the rules then first time is probably a warning without any points, from there it may escalate. Most people won't retaliate on staff if they see that rules are actually being followed. The best way to keep everyone in line is to be easy-going about it but still enforce them if the situation is more direct. If a user doesn't want to be on my site they don't have to, I simply try to get along with everyone but sometimes users get attitudes and you just have to lay down the law :p

Sir Twisted

Twisted.
Staff member
Founder
Admin
Mod
10 June 2015
Scotland.

Personally I would say, first and foremost make the rules incredibly clear. If users within the community decide to break the rules, then as mentioned above start off with some sort of system, x amount of warnings equals x amount of time banned. If the user keeps breaking these rules and is consistently being banned, I would say a permanent ban is in place.

digital

Community Team Leader
Staff member
Team Leader
27 April 2020
Scotland

As long as you have a clear set of rules listed for member of the community to see they know the expectations. If they choose to ignore these rules then they must also face the consequences of what comes with that.

JennyorAlice

On Fire
9 August 2015

I agree with Digital. I think it takes a clear set of rules in the beginning so that people know what to do or not do. But I would think it would be good to post, along with the rules, what happens when the rules are broken. Like, what deserves a friendly reminder, what deserves a suspension, what deserves a ban, etc. That way, they know what the consequences are when the rules are broken and they know what to expect.

MaxBill

The Myth
29 June 2015
Behind you

Greeting new members, showing them how things work.
Moderating site 24/7.
Asking for members opinions and feedback.
Friendly staff and co-workers.
Member achievement and award system.

About Us

Forum Authority is a general discussion forum. We currently have a variety of categories to choose from, where you can participate in discussions. We also have many features such as a powerful credits & awards system, custom upgrades, plugins + more! Here you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, find unique resources & tutorials, win contests & prizes, receive freebies and be given advice or help.