Forum Authority

Full Version: Samsung faces lawsuit over exploding washing machines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Samsung has said it is investigating reports that some of its washing machines have exploded in the US.

[Image: d9b0b257e0abd9bb3902e845ff0ffe7b1162b9d8...0929134016]

The electronics giant, which has already recalled millions of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones following a spate of battery explosions, said it is aware of "potential safety issues" concerning the appliances.

A class-action lawsuit filed in New Jersey is alleging some Samsung top-loading washing machines have exploded in their owners' homes.

Some of the explosions allegedly caused damage to walls and doors and presented "significant injury risks".

One of the plaintiffs in the case, Melissa Thaxton, said: "It was the loudest sound. It sounded like a bomb went off in my ear. There were wires, nuts, the cover actually was laying on the floor.

"I just remember covering my head and leaning towards my son and just screaming this scream that I didn't even know I could scream."

[Image: 495cfb5629299575b9a3d420363b36643b9266c2...0902110946]
Samsung has already had to recall millions of Galaxy Note 7 phones after some batteries exploded

In a statement, the firm behind the legal action added: "Users have reported Samsung top-load washers exploding as early as the day of installation, while other owners have seen their machines explode months or even more than a year after purchase."

The firm said it has received reports of glass and other machine parts being shot across garages and laundry rooms at distances of more than 15ft - with owners only avoiding injury through "fortunate timing".

Samsung says it is in "active discussions" with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission about the affected appliances, which were manufactured between March 2011 and April of this year.

The company added: "In rare cases, affected units may experience abnormal vibrations that could pose a risk of personal injury or property damage when washing bedding, bulky or water-resistant items."

Until a more permanent solution can be found, customers are being urged to use the "lower speed delicate cycle" when washing bulky items such as bedding.
Well-deserved!