Thread Contributor: Venvasion
Google Play Store Soon on Chromebooks
[Image: new-chromebook-pixel-2267.0-758x505.jpg]

Recently, Google’s Chromebooks have gotten a solid foothold in schools and with consumers who want affordable notebooks to go online.
Google Play, the Android app store, will roll out first on three Chromebook PCs running Chrome OS: the Asus Chromebook Flip, the Acer Chromebook R 11 and the latest Chromebook Pixel made by Google.
[img=710x0]http://www.gamevify.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/devices-selector-home-pixel_2x.jpg[/img]
Chromebooks were designed primarily for use while connected to the internet. And, despite notable improvements over the years, Chromebooks are still highly dependent on a strong internet connection. What’s more, the Chrome Web Store is a confusing mess, and any apps you do download only work in the Chrome browser.

Quote:So, we’re bringing Google Play (the most popular app store in the world) to Chromebooks. This means you’ll be able to download and use Android apps, so you can make a Skype call, work with Office files and be productive offline — or take a break with games like Minecraft, Hearthstone or Clash of Clans. The same apps that run on phones and tablets can now run on Chromebooks without compromising their speed, simplicity or security. This is good for users and great for developers – in addition to phones and tablets, they will be able to easily bring their apps to laptops. And all this is built on top of Chrome OS, so users will continue to have everything they love in their Chromebooks. – said Google.
[img=710x0]http://www.gamevify.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/chromebook.jpg[/img]

Google is hoping to extend that symbiosis by making the Play store, and the Android apps on sale there, work on its Chrome OS, which powers millions of inexpensive, web-based laptops made by companies including Dell Inc., HP Inc. and, Acer.

GameVify.com

This is a step in the right direction, and developers will find it easier to develop across a wider range of devices - ultimately increasing the apps available to chromebooks. I think it's about time Google has done this.
The following 1 user Likes katos's post:
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"