Thread Contributor: Naiwen
Wanting to move out from my Parents
I feel my parents are overly protective and influence my decisions for me way too much, that's why I want to move away from them. Do you think it's good idea? Plus, I'm an adult now, I think it's normal to want to be independent. It's the only thing in life that I'm not satisfied with at the moment. I should probably say that I've never lived elsewhere than my parents'.

If you think you can handle it financially on your own, then why not? Then again, sometimes it's a blessing to be able to live somewhere rent free (if that's the case). I'd weigh out the pros and cons and make sure you can make it on your own before you decide.

How old are you? 
Do you have a stable job, in order to pay your bills? 

There are a lot of factors that come into play when you decide to move out.

You need to weigh things up as @Dee and @PrivateDonut have so rightly stated.
Not only do you have bills to pay (electricity, gas, water, mortgage) you also have to pay for repairs, a surveyor, decorating, etc.

As well as that, you would also need to remember that you'd be on your own. If something goes wrong, it's you that picks up the slack - not your parents.
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"

(08-21-2016, 09:57 AM)katos Wrote: You need to weigh things up as @Dee and @PrivateDonut have so rightly stated.
Not only do you have bills to pay (electricity, gas, water, mortgage) you also have to pay for repairs, a surveyor, decorating, etc.

As well as that, you would also need to remember that you'd be on your own. If something goes wrong, it's you that picks up the slack - not your parents.

And I'm ready for that. And I've got a job right now, albeit a temporary one, though I'll be having social-welfare after that.  And I'm 28 years old. And believe me, it's not a blessing to live with my parents. They're very difficult and my dad's even verbally and physically violent. I'm so sick of it.
The following 1 user Likes Naiwen's post:

(08-21-2016, 01:18 PM)Naiwen Wrote:
(08-21-2016, 09:57 AM)katos Wrote: You need to weigh things up as @Dee and @PrivateDonut have so rightly stated.

And I'm ready for that. And I've got a job right now, albeit a temporary one, though I'll be having social-welfare after that.  And I'm 28 years old. And believe me, it's not a blessing to live with my parents. They're very difficult and my dad's even verbally and physically violent. I'm so sick of it.

If you're in a bad situation then yeah you probably do need to get out of there. Plan ahead for the future. What will you be getting for the social welfare you'll be on? Is it manageable? Can and will you be able to afford rent/mortgage every month or will you be buying outright? Either way, there are things you need to calculate before you do this. Find out what you can afford for--at the very least--a year if not longer.

I've been contemplating moving from Scotland to somewhere else. I know that I want my own apartment, however I'm not entirely sure how I would do this. As like the others have mentioned, it is a big responsibility especially if you plan to move out and live on your own. I would have to think logically and of course realistically. I think it would be easier moving out and getting a room mate, a friend, family member, someone close to you, to not only help out with the financial side, but to also know you aren't left alone if things do go not so right.
If you need assistance with anything, feel free to message me.

I am NOT a robot or am I?

My parents and I have discussed about it and they've agreed to support me into a home for adult women as it's a safe and low-cost place to be.

If you think you can handle it, go for it. Why do you think your parents are so overprotective?

(08-21-2016, 06:39 AM)Dee Wrote: If you think you can handle it financially on your own, then why not? Then again, sometimes it's a blessing to be able to live somewhere rent free (if that's the case). I'd weigh out the pros and cons and make sure you can make it on your own before you decide.

I agree with this.  I'd certain take the time to weigh the pros and cons before you do anything.  You don't want to move out and then find out that you don't have enough money to live on your own.  Of course, if you don't have the money to live completely on your own but you want to move out of your parents house, I know people that move in with a roommate.  They get to split the cost right down the middle, which is easier than having to pay everything yourself.  However, if you do choose that option, I would make sure that your roommate is a trustworthy person before moving in with them.  There can be all kinds of repercussions if you don't do your homework prior to getting a roommate.  But that just goes back to what Dee said before.  You have to weigh out the pros and cons.