Thread Contributor: Venvasion
Google’s New OS Is Now Public
Google’s new OS called Fuchsia is now available to the public, but there’s been no official announcement from Google or explanation from the individual developers as to Fuchsia’s purpose. You can run Fuchsia either on a computer or a virtual machine if you’d like to give the early code a try.

[Image: google-headquarters.jpg]

According to rumors, Fuchsia is a new OS that could unify Chrome OS and Android into a single operating system. Reports have claimed that the OS will release in 2017. The innovation now is that the Fuchsia already have a large part of its available and functional code, and its leaders revealed in the IRC channel that this new operating system runs already well in NUCs Broadwell and Skylake NUCs and Acer Switch Alpha 12, if and in the latter, supporting drivers are still being created.

[Image: ap_resize.png]

The Fuchsia is based on Magenta and does not make use of the Linux kernel as other OSes of Google. The kernel uses the Little Kernel, which gives more freedom to Google to create a root OS. According to PCWorld, even if the long-term goal of the project is to replace the Android and Chrome OS, it will likely take quite a few years before anything is ready for a consumer release.
The following 1 user Likes Venvasion's post:

Interesting! I will have to dive into this and have a little peek at it.
I'm sure @euan might be interested also.

Thanks for sharing @venvasion !
The following 2 users Like katos's post:
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"

(09-08-2016, 10:33 AM)katos Wrote: Interesting! I will have to dive into this and have a little peek at it.

Yeah, I've seen some mention of this when it was first made public. It's an interesting project, with it's own Kernel (so not even Linux based, it's all from the ground up).

Given Google's track record with supporting/maintaining projects though, I question whether it will ever be used outside of Google's phones and servers.
The following 2 users Like euan's post:
[Image: BIf47zQ.gif]

Looking forward to using it!
[url=http://s15.zetaboards.com/The_health_Forum/index/][/url][Image: naiwen_Ariel_sig.png]

(09-08-2016, 04:57 PM)euan Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 10:33 AM)katos Wrote: Interesting! I will have to dive into this and have a little peek at it.

Yeah, I've seen some mention of this when it was first made public. It's an interesting project, with it's own Kernel (so not even Linux based, it's all from the ground up).

Given Google's track record with supporting/maintaining projects though, I question whether it will ever be used outside of Google's phones and servers.

I agree, it probably won't be. Mobile develops might find it interesting though. @suraf
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"