Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

Venvasion
Twitter is Shutting Down Vine
With Twitter’s future still in question following failed attempts at finding an acquirer and the recently announced layoffs of nine percent of its workforce, the company announced it’s shutting down its standalone short-form video app, Vine. According to a post, nothing is changing immediately — the website and apps will remain online for the time being, and users will be given a chance to download their Vine videos ahead of its official closure.

[Image: twitter-shutting-down-vine.png]

The announcement was devoid of any explanations about what led to the decision, only stating that Twitter would share more news on its blog and via its official Twitter account in the future regarding what comes next. While the plan is to wind down Vine’s operations, Twitter also says the website will remain online because the company thinks “it’s important to still be able to watch all the incredible Vines that have been made.”

In recent days, Twitter has been focusing more on its Periscope product and live streaming rather than the short looping video service Vine, which is home now to a number of creators. It even integrated live streaming into the service, offering to alert users when someone you follow goes live. It has also focused heavily on live TV, via partnerships to stream televised content with organizations like the NFL, Bloomberg, and others.

[Image: vine-headquaters.png]

Quote:Acquired by Twitter in 2012, Vine started off strong, becoming the No. 1 app on the iTunes App Store only six months after joining the company. At one point, Vine had more than 200 million active users, yet it struggled to maintain traction and saw a decline in popularity in recent months. – Vine co-founder Rus Yusupov

The team had already had a spate of departures and all three co-founders previously left. And it seems there’s still some frustration about the way Twitter has handled the product.
Saw this the other day, quite sad news but from a business stand-point it's clever. They would have been best selling the business off though, instead of just closing it down.
I think it's the right move to make.

I am tempted to clone the scripts and start my own 5 second video app :P
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
I never had a use for vine; and I never used it. No loss at all to me.
(10-29-2016, 12:23 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: I never had a use for vine; and I never used it. No loss at all to me.

Must confess, I too never had a use for it - nor used it.
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
It was popular for a while but it just didn't have that factor that brought people back over and over again
(12-04-2016, 02:06 PM)kingcool52 Wrote: It was popular for a while but it just didn't have that factor that brought people back over and over again

Indeed, it was kind of a fad. 
Plus, Twitter is struggling. Though I am surprised that they shut it down and didn't sell it.
I've never been a fan of vines, It's absolutely stupid how they get famous for doing so little.
[Image: CeODU1G.gif]
(12-04-2016, 03:23 PM)Sir Twisted Wrote: I've never been a fan of vines, It's absolutely stupid how they get famous for doing so little.

Couldn't agree more.
(12-04-2016, 09:14 PM)katos Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 03:23 PM)Sir Twisted Wrote: I've never been a fan of vines, It's absolutely stupid how they get famous for doing so little.

Couldn't agree more.

Honeslty, it is pathetic that people idolise them and they get to go to red carpet events and make a ton of money..literally 99% of them are rubbish and it's more or less just about looks than content.
[Image: CeODU1G.gif]
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register