Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

Venvasion
Microsoft ‘Ends’ Windows 7 And Windows 8.1
As October ended so did Microsoft’s distribution of two operating systems to OEMs. Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.1 have both reached the end of their sales via PCs with Windows pre-installed. Users of these OSes still have some time to use them and benefit from Microsoft support of some kind but Microsoft is now firmly cruising in a single gear – Windows 10.

The end-of-sales for Windows 7 was initially planned for Oct. 31, 2014, but was pushed back two years despite Windows 8 being already in the market. Microsoft only called for an end to consumer systems with the cut-off for Windows 7 Professional left open.  The company stated that they would issue a warning one year before end-of-sales which was issued a year ago.

[Image: microsoft-hq.png]

It has been known for a while that this milestone was coming. Microsoft posted details of its end date for sales to partners on its Windows lifecycle website some time ago, and the company had already ceased selling licenses for the Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate versions since 2014. However, Microsoft continued selling licenses for the Windows 7 Professional version, along with Windows 8.1, until today.

Consequently, if you still want a brand new PC with either Windows 7 or Windows 8 then move fast because all OEMs can now do is sell off their existing stock – and that won’t last long.

We should note that Microsoft’s support periods remain unchanged. Mainstream support for Windows 7 ceased back in January 2015, but extended support will continue until Jan. 14, 2020. Meanwhile, Windows 8.1 will still receive mainstream support until Jan. 9, 2018, while extended support will continue until Jan. 10, 2023.

Windows 10 is a different case. Officially, mainstream support ends on Oct. 13, 2020, and extended support cuts out on Oct. 14, 2025, but it will continue to update after that. That’s because Windows 10 is offered as a service and was built in a different way that allows for regular updates with new features as well as the standard fixes seen in previous versions.
(11-04-2016, 08:32 AM)Venvasion Wrote: Windows 10 is a different case. Officially, mainstream support ends on Oct. 13, 2020, and extended support cuts out on Oct. 14, 2025, but it will continue to update after that. That’s because Windows 10 is offered as a service and was built in a different way that allows for regular updates with new features as well as the standard fixes seen in previous versions.

By 2025, Windows 10 won't be Windows 10.
Windows will become Windows.
<br>
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
Windows 10 is great so people might as well have upgraded to it. It was expected anyway that they would stop supporting it sooner or later
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register