Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

Ant
Installing Windows - GPT Error
A week or two ago I was downgrading from windows 10 to windows 7 on my old PC, to use it as a server for my home network. In the process it failed and my HDD had been wiped. I then tried re-installing and other various things, nothing was successful. Whenever I tried to install I would get an error saying I couldn't install Windows to a GPT Hard Drive partition & when I formatted the drive to MBR I had the same thing, except it said I cannot install to a MBR Partition.

I am currently in the process of downloading Ubuntu to put on my Hard drive and install, I would prefer to use windows but I can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone know what I could do?
Try these guides https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3086249
(12-28-2016, 06:03 PM)ArcticWolf Wrote: Try these guides https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3086249

I have tried doing so, even fully formatting my drive so that its 1 big unallocated space. I'm adding Ubuntu to my HDD now, so if this doesn't even work then I may as well salvage the parts I can and simply build a dedicated server PC. I have 8GB of RAM and a decent CPU so it wouldn't be the end of the world
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
Thinking about something and I'm not sure if it would work. Could I transfer the files from a fresh windows on another PC directly to the Hard Drive? If so would it even boot?
(12-29-2016, 03:17 PM)Ant Wrote: Thinking about something and I'm not sure if it would work. Could I transfer the files from a fresh windows on another PC directly to the Hard Drive? If so would it even boot?

No, due to the nature of Windows hidden files.
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
Spoke to a mate at work, apparently it's due to your motherboard supporting legacy.

To fix this error, firstly you need to enter BIOS Setup to see what the boot mode it is set to. Start/restart computer and continuously press a key to enter BIOS before Windows logo appears. Different computers may require different keys, so you had better search "how to enter BIOS plus computer trademark or motherboard name" on the internet to find the exact key. 

In BIOS, if you find no signal showing you are using UEFI motherboard like the following picture shows, maybe you are using a traditional motherboard which supports legacy BIOS boot only. Under this situation, the only solution is to convert GPT disk to MBR disk.

He stated that the link : https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitio...-disk.html should help.
(this is where above info is from)
(12-29-2016, 06:12 PM)katos Wrote: Spoke to a mate at work, apparently it's due to your motherboard supporting legacy.

To fix this error, firstly you need to enter BIOS Setup to see what the boot mode it is set to. Start/restart computer and continuously press a key to enter BIOS before Windows logo appears. Different computers may require different keys, so you had better search "how to enter BIOS plus computer trademark or motherboard name" on the internet to find the exact key. 

In BIOS, if you find no signal showing you are using UEFI motherboard like the following picture shows, maybe you are using a traditional motherboard which supports legacy BIOS boot only. Under this situation, the only solution is to convert GPT disk to MBR disk.

He stated that the link : https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitio...-disk.html should help.

My motherboard can support legacy boots, UEFI Boots and USB / CD Booting. So I doubt that's the issue, but thanks for you're help
(12-30-2016, 12:42 AM)Ant Wrote:
(12-29-2016, 06:12 PM)katos Wrote: Spoke to a mate at work, apparently it's due to your motherboard supporting legacy.

My motherboard can support legacy boots, UEFI Boots and USB / CD Booting. So I doubt that's the issue, but thanks for you're help

In the bios, what boot setting is selected?
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register