Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

Ant
Home Sever Being Slow
Okay so I'm gonna keep it short and simple. I have finally setup my home server and at the moment it only has 1TB of shared storage. However when I access it on devices Im getting slow speeds (4-12KB) Here's my specs:

-Gigabit switch
Sever:
8GB Ram
FreeNAS
i5 CPU

My Laptop is brand new and not slow, I dont know the specs. Im confused as why the network takes a while to log into and transfer speeds peak at around 1MB/s
Since this is going to annoy me, speeds are kb, mb or gb (not caps) - referencing bits and not bytes.

As for the speed it sounds like your throughput on the line is lower than the gigabit switch can handle. What sort of Ethernet are you using? Upgrade to cat5e and check your NIC speeds. Could also be interference on the line Potentially (though unlikely) 

Don't forget just since you have a gigabit switch doesn't mean you will have a gigabit speed. Each point on the link has to be gigabit enabled to get that speed. Otherwise your throughput will be bottlenecked.
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
(01-01-2017, 02:10 AM)katos Wrote: Since this is going to annoy me, speeds are kb, mb or gb (not caps) - referencing bits and not bytes.

As for the speed it sounds like your throughput on the line is lower than the gigabit switch can handle. What sort of Ethernet are you using? Upgrade to cat5e and check your NIC speeds. Could also be interference on the line Potentially (though unlikely) 

Don't forget just since you have a gigabit switch doesn't mean you will have a gigabit speed. Each point on the link has to be gigabit enabled to get that speed. Otherwise your throughput will be bottlenecked.

I know that haha, Im using Cat6e with 1 Cat7 line (from Laptop to Switch at times), So I'm confused from whats happening
(01-01-2017, 03:10 PM)Ant Wrote:
(01-01-2017, 02:10 AM)katos Wrote: Since this is going to annoy me, speeds are kb, mb or gb (not caps) - referencing bits and not bytes.

I know that haha, Im using Cat6e with 1 Cat7 line (from Laptop to Switch at times), So I'm confused from whats happening

Hmm, is it happening at certain times or constantly?
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
(01-01-2017, 04:35 PM)katos Wrote:
(01-01-2017, 03:10 PM)Ant Wrote:

Hmm, is it happening at certain times or constantly?

Not really no. Its just all the time. When transferring files over the speed will usually go from 1kb/s then jump up and down. It usually peaks at 1mb/s and just jumps up and down. Even when transferring small files?
Is it possible that it is the read/write of the drive itself? I would presume it's a second hand drive, which means it could have performance degradation.
See also: 
https://www.servethehome.com/troubleshoo...me-server/

Might be useful - specifically Option #2 and the manual selection of full 1gbps duplex on the NIC
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register