Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

respect
Google lost 0.000001% of users’ data when lightning struck a nearby power grid
When lightning struck a local utility grid in Belgium, one of Google’s data centers faced a minor power outage in its storage systems, causing a permanent loss of 0.000001 percent of stored files. Now that may not sound like a lot, but with how many users are on Google that is quite a lot, but it is still pretty minor.

Read More...
Sad to hear, serious data lost can be ex-termly hurtful to a company.
Private message me with Questions, Comments, or Concerns.
I wonder how much that actually affected them. I mean it's already a month later and this is the first time I hear about this, so it may be insignificant. Also, don't they usually have backups for that very reason?
(09-30-2015, 05:49 AM)Rexcorn Wrote: I wonder how much that actually affected them. I mean it's already a month later and this is the first time I hear about this, so it may be insignificant. Also, don't they usually have backups for that very reason?

Yes, I'd imagine google had the files back up within the hour, unless it a back up sever that was damaged...
Private message me with Questions, Comments, or Concerns.
(09-30-2015, 05:51 AM)Chance Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 05:49 AM)Rexcorn Wrote: I wonder how much that actually affected them. I mean it's already a month later and this is the first time I hear about this, so it may be insignificant. Also, don't they usually have backups for that very reason?

Yes, I'd imagine google had the files back up within the hour, unless it a back up sever that was damaged...

If I'm reading this article correctly, it was recently written data.  It was stuff they hadn't yet backed up.  That's why it was permanently lost.  They are trying to update their systems to prevent future loss.
That's really unfortunate, but I don't think anything could have prevented this type of thing from happening.
(10-19-2015, 03:12 AM)beauty22 Wrote: That's really unfortunate, but I don't think anything could have prevented this type of thing from happening.

Agreed.
This must suck for the people who lost their data. I guess good thing that this happens so rarely. No-one could foresee this happening.
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register