Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

miguel_francis
Pokemon
I always find myself going back to the original pokemon version (red, blue, yellow) despite the numerous generations that came after them. Anybody else find the original 151 pokemons to be the best?
I'm also like this! I tried playing Sapphire and Black, but they did nothing for me. I like the original games and the remakes best. A few months ago I got into Heart Gold and it was so awesome!
I would enjoy the new Pokemon games if I didn't find the new monster art style so ugly. New Pokemon look more like Digimon or Ben10 aliens than Gen1/Gen2 Pokemon.
Private message me with Questions, Comments, or Concerns.
(12-25-2015, 11:44 AM)Elfprincess Wrote: I would enjoy the new Pokemon games if I didn't find the new monster art style so ugly. New Pokemon look more like Digimon or Ben10 aliens than Gen1/Gen2 Pokemon.

I also hate the new monster designs. I tried playing the newer versions and I never finish. The new pokemons all looked so ugly that I couldn't decide which ones to raise. I want my pokemons cute!
I absolutely love the old 151 Pokemon. They are definitely the ones that I know first if I see them. However, if feel like the new Pokemon are a welcomed addition to the original bunch. If we still only had 151 Pokemon to battle with, Pokemon would be extremely boring. Every Pokemon is unique, and most of them have interesting ways of being applied to in-game competitive battle.

I will admit that quite a few of them have awful designs, though. :p
I love the Pokemon series, and definitely the original 151 were the best, but I also have a lot of love for the second generation (Silver, Gold, Crystal). Sadly, my cartridges are dying, but I've had many good years of fun with them.
I'll always have a special fondness for the original games - so many moments I laughed and had fun with them. (I'm excited for February when the original games will be available at the eShop - I'd love to see how they resolve the link cable problem for trading pokemon.) Can't forget some of the funniest lines - 'I like shorts!' guy for example. I still know all the 151 pokemon (probably burned into my memory) but I do also love many of the succeeding games (GSC saga and RSE especially; I also like the customizability of XY and am waiting for Z, whenever if finally comes out).

I have to admit some of the newer Pokemon aren't as creatively designed as the old ones but I guess with so many Pokemon now (700+, I think as of now) it's hard to think of really original designs at this point. I do like some of the newer designed Pokemon (especially Goomy, the slug-like Dragon Pokemon) but I'll always love the 151 Pokemon the most, I think. (Well, maybe except Zubat because ugh, Zubats in caves. Ugh.)

Yellow always had a special place in my heart because Pikachu follows your character around! When that was replicated in Heart Gold/Soul Silver (with any pokemon) I was so happy!
(12-26-2015, 11:12 AM)miguel_francis Wrote:
(12-25-2015, 11:44 AM)Elfprincess Wrote: I would enjoy the new Pokemon games if I didn't find the new monster art style so ugly. New Pokemon look more like Digimon or Ben10 aliens than Gen1/Gen2 Pokemon.

I also hate the new monster designs. I tried playing the newer versions and I never finish. The new pokemons all looked so ugly that I couldn't decide which ones to raise. I want my pokemons cute!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. Many people defend the new designs, saying that first generations also had some lazy designs, but for me it's not just about individual Pokemon... The whole style is ugly. Even old Pokemon look awful when drawn in the simplistic, modern style.
See, if you're going by the game art though, then the style is the same? It's all Ken Sugimori. Different shading, perhaps, but same style.

If you're talking about the anime... then yeah. Lol. That's just dreadful animation.
LeafGreen / FireRed are my favourite of the games, so yeah, I suppose the originals would be more overall favourites. I don't know if I would say that the newer pokemon are all inherently ugly or inferior to the originals, however - there are a lot of really charming designs in the newer generations. Lots of duds, as well, but that's true of the original games too: the Geodude line looks weird, Goldeen is just a fish with a horn on its head, Mr. Mime appears to be an old man, Magmar has a hiney on its face (butthead, lulz), Ditto's a pile of goop with a smiley face... I could probably go on.

It's all subjective opinion, of course, but I get the feeling fans of the original games are a bit blinded by nostalgia and don't give the newer generations much of a chance.
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register