Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

miguel_francis
Pokemon
(01-08-2016, 11:04 PM)MandyMarieB Wrote: See, if you're going by the game art though, then the style is the same? It's all Ken Sugimori. Different shading, perhaps, but same style.

If you're talking about the anime... then yeah. Lol. That's just dreadful animation.

They look like a bunch of vectors - all sharp lines and edges - and have those simplistic, jarring colors. Sorry if I'm not the most knowledgeable about the process! I guess the people from all over the world who create those new Pokemon must really suck since even Sugimori is not able to save them. 
Haven't seen anything past the first two seasons, which must be a good thing :D
Pokemon will always have a special place in my heart haha and personally think that all the games are good in their own right. For the longest time I was an original 151 purist but came to realize that a lot of it was just nostalgia biasing my views. Sure lots of the new designs are weird but honestly even the original designs were just as strange in hindsight. I have to say that the storylines have evolved over time and progressed a bit and so has gameplay such as day/night, breeding, berries, devices, contests, hideouts and more.
I am constantly replaying pokemon X. I grew up playing the original three and am now a grown man with a family, but I absolutely love X&Y. I don't even know why really. Just something about them amazes me.
I hold such fond feelings for the Pokemon games. While I'll always love the original games, I like the newer games, too.
Just recently, while I was exploring a thrift store in my town, I decided to look at the video games. The owner of the thrift store was an older gentleman who didn't know very much about video games, and it became apparent because he had put out two Pokemon games. Pokemon Diamond, and HeartGold. For $3 a piece. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I figured I'd give them a try, and even I don't like them, I could resell them for at least $20 a piece.
Suffice to say, I actually fell in love with them, and eventually decided to try Pokemon Black.
(02-09-2016, 06:43 AM)SimiWolfie Wrote: I hold such fond feelings for the Pokemon games. While I'll always love the original games, I like the newer games, too.
Just recently, while I was exploring a thrift store in my town, I decided to look at the video games. The owner of the thrift store was an older gentleman who didn't know very much about video games, and it became apparent because he had put out two Pokemon games. Pokemon Diamond, and HeartGold. For $3 a piece. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I figured I'd give them a try, and even I don't like them, I could resell them for at least $20 a piece.
Suffice to say, I actually fell in love with them, and eventually decided to try Pokemon Black.

I'm so envious! That's quite a steal. I'm shocked that the dude hasn't checked Amazon or Ebay before deciding on a price. I'm really envious!
I also love Pokemon Heart Gold. I've played it for like  three months. Still hasn't finished it though, haha.
(02-09-2016, 06:43 AM)SimiWolfie Wrote: I hold such fond feelings for the Pokemon games. While I'll always love the original games, I like the newer games, too.

Damn. That's borderline no fair. I already own both of them, but... still. No fair! I had to pay full price, dangit!
Of course! 1st generation Pokemon are the best of all. I personally enjoyed the Leaf Green remake of the 1st game generations. I love the safari zone and the epic gym leaders.

I tend to chose Bulbasaur as the starter XD. Good memories of the good old times.
(01-09-2016, 10:56 AM)SLTE Wrote: LeafGreen / FireRed are my favourite of the games, so yeah, I suppose the originals would be more overall favourites. I don't know if I would say that the newer pokemon are all inherently ugly or inferior to the originals, however - there are a lot of really charming designs in the newer generations. Lots of duds, as well, but that's true of the original games too: the Geodude line looks weird,  Goldeen is just a fish with a horn on its head, Mr. Mime appears to be an old man,  Magmar has a hiney on its face (butthead, lulz), Ditto's a pile of goop with a smiley face... I could probably go on.

It's all subjective opinion, of course, but I get the feeling fans of the original games are a bit blinded by nostalgia and don't give the newer generations much of a chance.

Yep, I pretty much agree with what you said. Nostalgia is a big motivator to go and replay old titles. To be fair, I think the FireRed and Emerald remakes are pretty good too; they came up with cool designs for 1st gen Pokemon and included the berries and the vs seeker and some other good features.
Actually I think the first games weren't that good. They don't have a lot of replayability value, for one. Once you beat them once, the 2nd time will be very similar and somewhat boring, unlike the later generations. That's just my experience though. After beating HeartGold as my first pokemon game, I decided to go upwards from there and tried other games like Platinum and Black 1&2, but then I decided to go back and play FireRed, needless to say it was so much easier to beat than any of the other games. There was a clear trend that the games got challenging the higher I went up, so it was kind of an anticlimactic experience to play FireRed. Didn't enjoy it as much. So far I found HeartGold to be the most enjoyable (spent a lot of hours replaying this game and it never gets boring), and Platinum to be the best story-wise. Other games always had something to put them behind against these two games.

Also worthy of note is that I only started playing pokemon about 2-3 years ago, not since childhood like most people, so perhaps my opinion differs from the majority because I don't feel the nostalgia they feel when playing the early games, like SLTE mentioned was a possible reason in an earlier reply.
(02-25-2016, 05:28 PM)Rexcorn Wrote: Actually I think the first games weren't that good. They don't have a lot of replayability value, for one. Once you beat them once, the 2nd time will be very similar and somewhat boring, unlike the later generations. That's just my experience though. After beating HeartGold as my first pokemon game, I decided to go upwards from there and tried other games like Platinum and Black 1&2, but then I decided to go back and play FireRed, needless to say it was so much easier to beat than any of the other games. There was a clear trend that the games got challenging the higher I went up, so it was kind of an anticlimactic experience to play FireRed. Didn't enjoy it as much. So far I found HeartGold to be the most enjoyable (spent a lot of hours replaying this game and it never gets boring), and Platinum to be the best story-wise. Other games always had something to put them behind against these two games.

Also worthy of note is that I only started playing pokemon about 2-3 years ago, not since childhood like most people, so perhaps my opinion differs from the majority because I don't feel the nostalgia they feel when playing the early games, like SLTE mentioned was a possible reason in an earlier reply.

Ha ha, if you think FireRed was stifling you should try the actual originals, on the Gameboy. They're still good games, but your options are limited even more, as there are no abilities, no held items, no extra areas like the Sevii Islands, far fewer moves, a greatly reduced item capacity on your backpack, and less pokemon once you reach the end of the game. They're still enjoyable in a pinch, but by comparison they're objectively worse than the remakes, let alone many of the older games. Some players like the more streamlined approach of the originals, but I have no desire to go back and play them.
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register