Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

JennyorAlice
Getting banned?
How far does someone have to go before they get banned from your forum?  What are your steps leading up to getting banned?  Does it depend on the severity of their actions?
It depends on what they do really. If they have broken a small rule then you can just tell them not to do it and give them a warning but if it's a big rule that they have broken or spammed the forum then I will probably give them a permanent ban.
(12-09-2017, 01:35 PM)JennyorAlice Wrote: How far does someone have to go before they get banned from your forum?  What are your steps leading up to getting banned?  Does it depend on the severity of their actions?

It largely depends on the severity of the infraction.

On my website, we have different levels of bans. Temporary to permanent. Temporary bans can be from one day to 3 months depending on the severity of the infraction.

One easy way to get permanently banned from my website is to post carding and/or identity theft information. You're gone forever from my website. Period, no if and or buts about it.

I'm confident that Forum Authority has something similar to this.
Serpius
I'm Serpius and You're Not
The thing with temporary bans though is, do they actually return? Especially if its something like 3 months. Unless your forum is absolutely huge like HackForums, will they bother to remember and come back after 3 months?
I haven't had to ban anyone on my forum (at least, not yet).  But like mention before, it all depends on the infraction.
When I operated my forum it had a rule system and a punishment system in place. My forums mainly run on vBulletin which has an advanced banning system to MyBB.

Spamming threads was a warning for a 1st & 2nd offense
Double posting before 24hrs was a warning for a 1st & 2nd offence.
Swearing and abuse towards other members were a straight ban.

As my forum got more popular I activated the automatic banning system to help the moderators.
Each time a rule was broken it automatically gave them a point, after 3 points they received a 24hr ban, 3 day ban, 7 day ban and eventually a full ban.
(12-12-2017, 05:19 PM)Flagster UK Wrote: When I operated my forum it had a rule system and a punishment system in place. My forums mainly run on vBulletin which has an advanced banning system to MyBB.

Spamming threads was a warning for a 1st & 2nd offense
Double posting before 24hrs was a warning for a 1st & 2nd offence.
Swearing and abuse towards other members were a straight ban.

As my forum got more popular I activated the automatic banning system to help the moderators.
Each time a rule was broken it automatically gave them a point, after 3 points they received a 24hr ban, 3 day ban, 7 day ban and eventually a full ban.

That's a pretty good system there and I agree with a lot of what you said.  Something minor like a double post or something like that, you can just give them a friendly PM reminder or a warning or something like that.  I wouldn't issue a ban for something like that.  But if someone is harassing other members than you can issue a temporary ban, see if they change and issue a permanent ban if they don't.
From the several years I have been apart and ran forums, it really all varies on the rules of the site, I would say most of the time it is due to members not following the rules after being repeatedly warned, some may also threaten others, or post highly inappropriate content.
[Image: CeODU1G.gif]
(12-16-2017, 04:06 PM)Sir Twisted Wrote: From the several years I have been apart and ran forums, it really all varies on the rules of the site, I would say most of the time it is due to members not following the rules after being repeatedly warned, some may also threaten others, or post highly inappropriate content.

That's usually what happens.  Most of the time, it's usually the people who don't want to behave.  Some people can make a little mistake and be alright but there are some people who won't behave no matter what you do.
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register