Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

Venvasion
Hackers hit Xbox Live! “Microsoft Needs Better Protection”
The Xbox Live servers got hit, by a major attack, by hackers (again).  According to user reports, core services like signing in and the ability to purchase content were affected, as well as the ability to play games.

While no reason for the sudden failure in service was revealed by Microsoft, a hacking group is claiming responsibility for bringing down Xbox Live. “Microsoft needs better protection” – said hackers.
“Well, didn’t even take as long as I thought,” a member of the hacking group New World Hackers told Newsweek. â€œWe attacked Xbox to protest. Major companies like this have massive servers but no real protection. We want Xbox to update the protection they have, which isn’t much.”
While this seems like good intentions, the hacking group went on to boast their strength… Which felt more like a warning than anything.
“[The Xbox attacks] also prove we do have as much power as we say we do, going out to the doubters,” said a New World Hackers member. “[We could] honestly knock Xbox off the face of the Earth.”

What do you think? Do you agree with the hackers?

Visit GameVify for more great gaming related news!
Honestly I don't agree with this, any system can be compromised if someone tries hard enough, but it hasn't happened often to Xbox Live so I doubt that the system's security it as weak as these people are trying to say it is. For all anyone knows, the New World Hackers may have not even done anything and they are just trying to claim responsibility to make themselves famous.
(02-24-2016, 10:42 PM)Golddisk Wrote: Honestly I don't agree with this, any system can be compromised if someone tries hard enough, but it hasn't happened often to Xbox Live so I doubt that the system's security it as weak as these people are trying to say it is. For all anyone knows, the New World Hackers may have not even done anything and they are just trying to claim responsibility to make themselves famous.

Couldn't agree more.
[Image: CeODU1G.gif]
Speaking as someone who has worked in the industry of digital security, the way in which this "hacking group" (and I use that term loosely) have gone about this is rather shocking. Lets break it down, shall we...

1. Microsoft has official channels for the reporting of security issues, so the 'hacking' group could easily have compiled a list of evidence pointing to either poor practises in the field of cybersecurity, or poor security features / lack of features.
  2. IF Microsoft then didn't reply, the group could then visit official cybersecurity forums and post their evidence, highlighting poor practise or features on Microsoft's part. This would allow for open discussion by ethical cyber security experts.
  3. The group clearly set out for the disruption of a service, by overloading packets. ANY server (and sorry, that includes these "DDoS protected servers") can be taken offline with a big enough DDoS attack. In fact, it's been proven that it'd even be possible to wipe out an infrastructure such as the electrical board.
  4. The group then threatened that they have "as much power as we say we do" and "[We could] honestly knock Xbox off the face of the Earth." 
So, going solely off of how they handled the situation. No I do not agree with it. Go through the official channels with your evidence.
Then you can approach the official security forums such as http://www.csfi.us/https://www.securityforum.org/ 
"I'm a gamer, not because I don't have a life... But because I choose to have many"
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register