Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register

Aaron_mybb_import816
Being a game tester
Being a game tester must be quite a fun job! All you do all day is play games!

Would you ever hold a job like this?
What would your favorite type of games to test be?

Would you get sick of it?

If I was asked I think I would get sick of it as it would get boring after a while. But if I was to test games built for movies I think I would enjoy that the most.
I would love a job like this, I tend to look for flaws/errors in a game when I first buy it, so having the chance to help stop some of those from making it to the final version would be cool.
Private message me with Questions, Comments, or Concerns.
I think it'd be a really good job to have - I'd have a lot of fun playing it and I'd be helping make the game better with any bugs I find. Admittedly, though, I tend to 'luckily' not hit many bugs in games (partly because others discover them first and I read about the bugs on the internet and partly because I tend not to well... trigger said bugs) so I might not be so good at that part. It might be hard though, since you might have to chase infinite possibilities in the name of testing... But of course, it's much better than being a layman and finding a painful game breaking bug (e.g. Virtue's Last Reward for 3DS, the original bug in Pokemon XY before it was patched).

I'd love to test RPGs, Visual Novels, and puzzle games most of all, since these are what I usually play. Lots of potential for bugs in the first one, especially.
I think any big gamer would love to have a job like this! I've done some beta testing before, but imagine getting paid for it. Would be nice.
I would try it, but I don't think it's nearly as fun a job as most people might think. Yes, you're getting paid to play games all day, but you don't get to choose the game you play. Imagine having to test a genre you detest for several weeks on end. You're also forced to replay the same bits over and over, whether you like it or not, just to see if there's even a chance of a bug.

I highly recommend looking at a webcomic called The Trenches, which was co-created by the guys who made Penny Arcade. The comic itself is meh, but every time a comic goes up it's accompanied by real-life horror stories from game testers. They're not necessarily the happiest bunch of individuals.
I agree that it would take the fun out of it to play a game/genre that you hate for long periods of time, but you will also get to play games that you may like before anyone else gets to play them. And you'd get paid to play the games instead of paying to play them. There are always aspects of every job that are bad, but there's good to balance them out. But at least you get a paycheck for the stuff you don't like, so there's still that motivation.
I'd love a job like being a game tester! I don't think I'd ever get sick of being a game tester. It'd be the best job in the world.
I would do it, but it doesn't necessarily pay much. You're basically looking for bugs in new games. My friend worked as a game tester for a few years at EA sports in the Bay Area of California. It came with perks like 50% off video games. That alone might entice me to give it a try.
There are different type of game testers. I think you mean the type of game tester that plays the games in the companies right?

For a job like that, people think it's a dream job and you just sit there enjoy playing games. HOWEVER that is not reality. That job require you to play the same part of games over and over and over and over and over.............. in so many different ways so you can see if there are bugs. It require you to be extremely creative in ways of trying to "destroy" part of the games. Like if a hill that you should not be able to climb, if you are able to do it in any way. And stuff like that.

Personally I would say it becomes boring rather fast because you do see the same part a lot. Also if you do it all day every day for some time, just playing the same game then you will not enjoy it. It's not like you play it through just like that. No you need to exploit ways in the games.

As others have mentioned game testers doesn't earn a lot, actually it's a poorly paid job. However it may open doors for you in the game industry. You may learn aspects of game development and then later on actually make the games yourself. There have been some people in the past that have been getting taught game design while being a tester, it may sound like they spend a lot of time and really they do. But if it means you can get your dream job in the future then I guess most will do it.
I wish I could find a job like this. I know it can be repetitive, but being able to help make a potentially good game awesome, would be so rewarding for me! I think I'd probably enjoy roleplaying or choose your own destiny type games. They seem to be my favorite anyway.
Browsing as a guest
Hello! You are currently browsing this thread as a guest, If you would like to reply to this thread, please
or Register