TV Series: The Great

Tagobs

Community Team
Staff member
Mod
26 March 2020
Norway

Not that long after the release of a historical drama series about Catherine the Great of Russia starring Helen Mirren, Hulu came out with a more satirical comedic series about the Russian Empress, under the name of The Great. I just binged through the whole first (and so far only) season, and got quite a lot of laughs from it.

The Great is full of satirical and deadpan dialogue, where Shakespearean expositions is mixed with the use of modern expletives. Much of the comedy lies in the silly things the persons of power spend their time on, while working-class Russians die like flies around them. One example is how the emperor is in a long and bloody war with Russia just because "daddy won against the Swedes, so I want to do so as well".

In one of the series' most disgusting scenes, the emperor's dinner guests are served severed Swedish heads on plates, along with instructions to poke out their eyes just for fun's sake. In another scene, the Emperor has sex, vomits and defecates at the same time. In a third scene the murder of a child is used as an element in the comedy, and in a forth scene they use necrophilia to get some laughs. It is more fun than it sounds, I promise you.

It all is like Monty Python meets the world of Game of Thrones, which I have to say, makes a very entertaining series. Have any of you guys seen it?

Sir Twisted

Twisted.
Staff member
Founder
Admin
Mod
10 June 2015
Scotland.

I have to admit that I personally have never seen this, although with this great description and in-depth analysis of this. I will most likely have to check it out some point, thank you very much for the effort put into it.

Tagobs

Community Team
Staff member
Mod
26 March 2020
Norway

I have to admit that I personally have never seen this, although with this great description and in-depth analysis of this. I will most likely have to check it out some point, thank you very much for the effort put into it.
No worries! You should definitely check it out if you ever need some mind-numbing dumb fun

About Us

Forum Authority is a general discussion forum. We currently have a variety of categories to choose from, where you can participate in discussions. We also have many features such as a powerful credits & awards system, custom upgrades, plugins + more! Here you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, find unique resources & tutorials, win contests & prizes, receive freebies and be given advice or help.